Paediatric gastroenterologist is a specialist doctor who diagnose and treat gastrointestinal disorders
in children. Gastrointestinal system includes organs like esophagus (food pipe), stomach, intestine (small and large), pancreas, liver, biliary system (gall bladder and biliary tree), rectum and anus. Any disorder related to above organs present with various signs and symptoms.
Children are not small adults. Gastrointestinal disorders’ presentation are different in children than
adults so they need consultation from Paediatric gastroenterologist.
COMMON SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF GASTROINTESTINAL DISORDER
- Pain abdomen
- Blood in stool
- Abdominal distension or mass
- Anorexia (loss of appetite)
These are some common presentations for gastrointestinal disorders. There are other causes also for above symptoms so need specialist consultations for correct diagnosis and management. Few symptoms can be due to functional disorders. Functional disorders mimic pathological condition’s symptoms but requires certain investigations to rule out.
WHEN SHOULD YOU CONSULT PAEDIATRIC GASTROENTEROLOGIST?:
If your child is having any of the symptoms as given below, you should consult Paediatric gastroenterologist:
- Recurrent vomiting
- Chronic diarrhea (Diarrhea lasting more than 2 weeks)
- Chronic constipation
- Recurrent abdominal pain
- Unexplained not gaining height & weight
- Feeding difficulties (Regurgitation of food, difficulty in swallowing, painful swallowing)
- Suspected any food allergy (Symptoms like rash, vomiting, loose stool after ingestion of specific food or milk)
- Palpable abdominal mass or unusual abdominal distension
- Blood in stool
- Blood in vomiting
- Foreign body (coin, pin, button battery, sharp object etc.) ingestion